Article

Do you know what the COP28 stands for? 🤔

The UN's climate summit, COP28, is well underway in Dubai. But do you know what the ‘28’ in COP28 stands for? It means that there have been 28 conferences where world leaders have met to discuss how to manage global heating. And still global emissions are increasing and will hit a new record high in 2023. 
Image of post in post detailed view


This year’s agenda can be boiled down to two hot topics:
  1. Fossil fuel phase out – Today, in 2023, Fossil fuels still account for roughly 80% of global energy supply, a figure that has barely changed in 28 years since the first COP in Berlin (1995). Will this be the COP where all countries will stand behind a common statement that our fossil fuel addiction must end?
  2. Climate justice – Countries in the Global South need support to diversify their energy systems and adapt their infrastructure to a changing climate. Will this be the COP where we finally sort out how developing countries will be supported financially to phase out dependence on fossil fuels and build resilience against extreme weather?

Image of post in post detailed view



What is Climate Hero’s take on all this?



We have had 28 years of discussions and still emissions are increasing. It is time to break that trend, to limit global heating and to keep people safe. But we as individuals, as consumers, as citizens, cannot simply trust the political leaders to sort this out (they have had 28 years!), we need to take actions into our own hands.
Besides calculating and committing to reduce our individual carbon footprints, we can make a huge difference by also contributing financially to global net zero.
In fact, your contribution can ease both hot topics (fossil fuel phase out and climate justice) in one strike 👊!
By contributing to ClimateHero´s Gold Standard certified climate projects, your funding will be channelled to close down coal and gas power plants in developing countries. Not by sabotaging them, but by outperforming them with renewables.
For just $12 per month, your contribution will phase out 20 tonnes of fossil CO2 emissions per year. That is twice as much as an average citizen emits in a year.
So, what are you waiting for? Be a climate hero and contribute to the fossil fuel phase out! 🦸💚🌍
SIGN UP!
PS. This is a unique chance to double your impact. During the COP28 we will match your contribution and double your impact for the rest of the year!

Image of post in post detailed view


How does it work?


  • Your contribution supports climate positive projects that accelerate the phase out of fossil fuels. For example, it could be shutting down a coal-fired power plant in India by replacing it with solar or wind power.
  • The climate projects are endorsed by the UN and have a Gold Standard certificate. Read more about our climate projects and how they contribute to both reduced emissions and social improvements in developing countries.
  • Our standard subscription costs $12 per month and phases out 20 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year. That is twice as much as an average citizen emits in a year. We use 20% of your contribution to run and develop ClimateHero. The remaining 80% of your contribution enables immediate climate benefits.

Image of post in post detailed view


  • Flujensia Tindyebwa

    18 w

    All this time there have been empty promises. Any way we dont have time Action not words

    3
  • mercy nduta

    18 w

    Does it mean there have been empty promises to curb emissions,this is baffling.

    1
  • Sarah Chabane

    18 w

    Thank you for these insights! 28 COPs later and we are not doing so much better

    4
    • ClimateHero

      18 w

      @sarah_chabane_874 Thanks you for your input, and yes, it's hard to grasp!

      • Gorffly mokua

        18 w

        @sarah_chabane_874 And with the current trend of leaders investing in fossil fuels, am afraid that we will not achieve net zero!

        1
      • Robert Sabelström

        18 w

        It is hard to grasp that the first COP was in 1995 and that emissions has kept on increasing ever since 🙈

        6
        • ClimateHero

          18 w

          @Robert_Sabelstrom Yes 💯

          1
          • Gorffly mokua

            18 w

            @Robert_Sabelstrom This is disappointing! Soo much promises with minimal actions!

            1
          Welcome, let's solve the climate crisis together
          Post youtube preview with preloading
          youtube overlay

          Write or agree to climate reviews to make businesses and world leaders act. It’s easy and it works.

          Write a climate review

          Voice your opinion on how businesses and organizations impact the climate.
          0 trees planted

          One tree is planted for every climate review written to an organization that is Open for Climate Dialogue™.

          Download the app

          We plant a tree for every new user.

          AppleAndroid